Consultant Ophthalmologist MBBS, MD, FRCSED
After qualifying as a medical doctor, Mr Tarun Sharma joined 3-year residential training programme in ophthalmology. He carried out his prospective randomised study on glaucoma surgery and on completion, was awarded the degree of MD in ophthalmology in 1994. He received training in Ophthalmology at Birmingham Eye Hospital, Oxford Eye Hospital and Moorfields Eye Hospital in London, where he held the post of Specialist Registrar & Senior Glaucoma Fellow.
His interest is in glaucoma investigations ( Disc imaging) & treatments including lasers, glaucoma surgery including modern trabeculectomy with adjunctive therapies & glaucoma drainage implant surgery.
Mr Sharma’s research interests are in quality of life in glaucoma, cataract surgery in complex glaucoma and modern glaucoma surgical techniques. He published world’s first paper on 5-FU in phacoemulsification to protect functioning glaucoma operation. He has published more than 30 peer reviewed scientific papers. He has been an active faculty member in various training workshops in glaucoma and regularly delivers invited lectures on these and other subjects at both home and abroad.
In 2008, Mr Sharma was appointed to Worcestershire Acute Hospital NHS Trust as Consultant Ophthalmic surgeon. He has established the complex glaucoma surgical service for the county of Worcestershire.
Special clinical interests:
- Cataract surgery
- Laser treatment for glaucoma
- Glaucoma surgery including modern trabeculectomy with mitomycin-c
- Quality of life in glaucoma
- Cataract surgery in complex glaucoma
- Modern glaucoma surgical techniques
Current membership(s) of professional, national and regional bodies:
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Midland Ophthalmological Society
- European Glaucoma Society & AIGS
- American Academy of Ophthalmologists
- United Kingdom and Irish Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (UKISCRS)
If you would like to see Mr Sharma for a consultation at the Spire Clinic, Droitwich Spa, please call 01905 362 033 to book an appointment.